Re: [gNewSense-users] Would this script be useful to clean up Package fi

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Would this script be useful to clean up Package files?
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 19:26:09 +0200

Bake Timmons wrote:
When I tried to install a package recently, a non-free package was
suggested to me.  This compelled me to write a script that filters out
from "Suggests:" and "Recommends:" lines any package that is not
a main or universe "Package:" or "Provides:".  Here is an excerpt from
a diff between the current gNS and my filtered version:

831c831
< Suggests: apt-listchanges (>= 2.35), arj, cabextract, clamav,
clamav-daemon, cpio, dspam, lha, libauthen-sasl-perl, libdbi-perl (>=
1.43), libnet-ldap-perl (>= 1:0.32), lzop, nomarch, spamassassin (>=
3.1.0a), unrar, zoo
---
Suggests: apt-listchanges (>= 2.35), arj, cabextract, clamav,
clamav-daemon, cpio, dspam, libauthen-sasl-perl, libdbi-perl (>=
1.43), libnet-ldap-perl (>= 1:0.32), lzop, nomarch, spamassassin (>=
3.1.0a), zoo
928c928
< Suggests: apache | httpd, rmagic
---
Suggests: httpd, rmagic
1600c1600
< Suggests: apparmor-docs, apparmor-modules-source
---
Suggests: apparmor-docs
1929d1928
< Recommends: libcwidget0-dbg
1982c1981
< Suggests: khelpcenter, rar, unrar | unrar-free
---
Suggests: khelpcenter, unrar-free

What the deleted package names all have in common is that they have no
installation candidate.  Non-free packages are a strict subset of such
files.

Should I waste my time any more on this, or would something like this
be helpful in some way to anyone?  Personally, I would rather not know
about names of any non-free software.  More importantly, in general,
recommendations and suggestions of non-free software by anyone --
especially free software distributions -- are regularly condemned by
the FSF.  What do you think?

This is two bugs in one: suggesting non-free software would make gNewSense not FSF-free and it would also break aptitude which I believe installs recommended packages by default and suggested packages with the option APT::Install-Suggests=true. Well, maybe the latter is not necessarily true, because debcheck [1] says that half broken relationships are not necessarily bugs.

I think this is very useful work. If you could make it so that it only removes names of packages that have been removed by gNewSense, that would probably be better (do we have a list of those?). Debian or Ubuntu should solve the rest.

Could you also report this as a bug? It's nice to have these things documented.

[1] http://qa.debian.org/debcheck.php?dist=lenny&package=analog