Re: [gNewSense-users] Intel's excuse for non-free WiFi binary firmware

From: Mathieu Stumpf
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Intel's excuse for non-free WiFi binary firmware
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 09:05:25 +0200

> I attended an OpenMoko talk at FOSDEM 2007 and they said that their GSM
> stack is not open because FCC don't allow it. The reason is that it's either
> illegal or unsafe (I forgot which one) to broadcast radio waves with more
> power. People are protected from doing this (either accidentally or on
> purpose) by not being able to change the strength of the signal.

Let me laugh please. It only take a Ricoré[1] box and a little hack to
power up a wifi signal.

[1] Ricoré is a famous coffee-like drink that you can find in every
shop, at least in france.

> I don't know how valid that argument is. I'd think that there wouldn't be a
> problem if you make the hardware so that it can't go beyond a certain
> strength. It seems to me that that's also the only way to make sure it stays
> within the limits.

This is not, to my mind, a valid argument, and as said, you can easily
work around a wifi hardware limitation.

Next they will tell you they can't release their electronic coffee
maker firmware because you could hack it so it makes coffee to hot.