Re: [gNewSense-users] BSD code

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] BSD code
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 21:34:16 +0200

Peter and Jesse wrote:
On Tue, 2008-15-04 at 06:42 -0500, Luis Alberto Guzmán García wrote:
Hi!

I found some BSD code, and the license is not GPL, indeed it has no
license.
drivers/net/bsd_comp.c
But recalls the use of no GPL and the terms to redistribute, it can be seen in
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/Ubuntu-hardy-linux-2-6-24-12-22--drivers--net--bsd-comp-c

I contacted the copyright holder for
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/Ubuntu-hardy-linux-2-6-24-12-22--drivers--isdn--i4l--isdn-bsdcomp-c
regarding its ambiguous use of the BSD license about a week ago, but I
haven't gotten a reply. What happens next?

The copyright notice says "The Regents of the University of California" (plural) so there might be more than one person you can contact?

If we could find who put the update-statement in there we could ask that person. The best thing I could find was http://lxr.linux.no/linux-old+v2.4.0/drivers/net/bsd_comp.c, which shows that the update was introduced in 2.4.0. Does anybody know of an easy web front end to the kernel revision logs so that we can find the author of the change?