Re: [gNewSense-users] Recent activity of sharing free software materials

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Recent activity of sharing free software materials
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:53:44 +0930

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 15:06 -0400, Bake Timmons wrote:
> I wanted to mention what I have noticed recently about sharing of free
> software materials:

> 2.  After months of uploading 8 GB/day of mostly free software related
> materials over file sharing networks, I have noticed an unusual *uptick*
> in the uploading of my copy of the main gNewSense 1.1 Live CD image in
> the past two days.  Typically in the past, it may have risen to one or
> two, but lately it has been about a half dozen scattered all over the
> planet.  It's a good thing that I cannot explain, especially given how
> old the download is. :)

Probably to do with the pending release of (go)Ubuntu.

> 3.  The materials in *heaviest* demand are in *Spanish*, e.g., certain
> videotaped speeches of RMS are regularly requested.  Hmm.

Not supprised - Spain and latin america are quite strongly free
software.

> 4.  If anyone is lucky enough like me to have some bandwidth to spare, I
> hope that they condider using the eDonkey network in addition to

or any other P2P probably.

> BitTorrent.  I have uploaded hundreds of gigabytes of free software
> material in the past few months using the excellent MLDonkey software
> (monitoring it occasionally from its web interface), and it seems to be
> a good way to reach some users beyond BitTorrent users.

Thats a lot of gigabytes :) wish most of the world had connections
capable of that much upload.

Overall though, pretty good to hear :)
kk

--
Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributor / gNewSense contributor