Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS on the XO

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS on the XO
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 10:38:25 +1030

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 13:36 -0600, Dylan Knight Rogers wrote:
> I do not know if the idea of getting gNewSense on the OLPC XO machines has
> already been proposed or not, but I think it is a worthwhile goal.

It would be a PITA (i looked at it).

> The next version of gNewSense, I hear, will use my previous idea of
> the alternative CD, which I believe allows for network boots. The XO
> does not have a CD-ROM drive, but it should be possible to install
> other operating systems, no?

The XO has no cdrom drive. At all.
The OS is replaced by 'flashing' the inbuilt flash image (optionaly with
Openfirmware updates).
You'll need to patch the kernel, grub, (free the wireless firmware or
its unable to communicate), work out how the images are built, get in
touch with debian's xo group and chat with them, ditto any ubuntu group.

not sure what else...

> A link of potential interest:  http://xoubuntu.wordpress.com/
>
> I will soon receive my own XO and am open to performing this sort of
> experimental work on it, if required.

... oh yes... you'll want to test images in a VM, not brick your XO
:)
kk

--
Karl Goetz <address@hidden>