Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: gNewSense Documentation

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: gNewSense Documentation
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:45:44 -0500

On Nov 14, 2007 5:36 PM, Mark William Darbyshire <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks Don.
>
> I've put your structure proposal on the Proposed Structure page. I'll
> have a look at it and see what other sections I can think of. I'm
> thinking that Using gNS should probably go before Administering gNS. But
> then, on the other hand, I suppose it's a good idea to instill people
> with good habits as soon as possible.

I questioned that myself too, how advanced is "advanced". I say "Users
and Groups" and instantly said "If they don't know they shouldn't mess
with it" but then realized that a lot of people share a single
computer and they want to have "My" account and "The Wife's" account.
This is, in my mind, a pretty basic task and would explain why they
need that information in the beginning. That's why I'm wondering if
breaking things into "advanced" might be a bad idea; just ensure the
documentation maintains a good mesh of ideas (i.e. Reference "Command
Line Basics" before delving into how to write a BASH script that
mounts remote NFS shares, rsyncs the user's home directory while
exluding ~backup files) :)

> I suppose one big question is: "How advanced is advanced?" Basic use of
> the command line? Shell scripting?

Perhaps not judging "advanced" or not. Personally, there are some
things I do on CLI that are so basic (IMO) that I'd be upset if they
were deemed "advanced" and some things on the GUI that would baffle me
if I had to use them as text only. My solution?

1. How to install additional software on gNewSense

gNewSense includes Synaptic/Adept to manage software. You can use this
program by going to the menu... Here's a screenshot...

ALTERNATIVELY you can use the command line tools

sudo apt-get install some-package

***

Don't make the command line "advanced", just put it as an alternative.
After all, GNU/Linux isn't "harder" to use than Windows in most cases,
it's just different.