Fwd: [gNewSense-users] Status of licences for MAIN packages.

From: Chris Andrew
Subject: Fwd: [gNewSense-users] Status of licences for MAIN packages.
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 21:01:26 +0100

Patrick,

Thanks for your mail.  I'm a bit out of the loop on this one.  From your message, I gather that personal information has been transmitted on IRC channels.  The only info I give out is my email address.  Should people want to use "open source" (as in intelligence tools available to the public) tools, such as Google searches, then they will be able to put together a profile of me.  Whilst this is of some concern, I feel that it is a risk that can be managed.

The GNU/Linux community would struggle to progress without IRC and email, so I feel that people should be careful with the information they give out, but carry-out a risk analysis to assess whether the risk can be offset against the benefits that the masses can gain from "more-free" software, and the inherent security benefits that this software delivers.

In essence, the benefits (IMHO) outweigh the risk.

If I have missed the point, then I apologise.

Many thanks,

Chris.

(If you respond, then  could you do it to the mailing list, so that others can benefit from the discussion)