Re: [gNewSense-users] Compatible Video Cards with 3D Acceleration

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Compatible Video Cards with 3D Acceleration
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 13:04:28 -0400

So, right now, that lead us to a dead end on choosing a video card with
3D acceleration. And it doesn't matter if I want it integrated or not.
Damn it!

If you don't care about integrated, then getting an Intel based system
would work for you. I assumed from your wording (I am looking for an
AGP8X gNewSense Compatible Video Cards with 3D Acceleration.) that you
were looking for an add-in card, rather than an on-board, but still
AGP solution.

If your motherboard does NOT have an Intel graphics chipset then as of
today you have NO libre 3D options. Which leads you to the decision
that you'll have to make yourself - go without 3D because as of this
moment it can't be done, or use a non-libre (unsupported by gNewSense)
driver for 3D.

This is the state of hardware because makers don't want users to have
freedom. This is why Free Software advocacy is vital.

Now, that said - if you choose to go non-libre, with an nVidia card
you can help the nouveau project if you go that way.

> I should also say for this topic, AMD made a press release a few days
> ago declaring their intention to "Open Source" their video drivers;
> but that may or may not happen, and it may or may not actually be
> libre.

Damn it!