Re: [gNewSense-users] Removing non-free from kernel

From: Keith Meyer
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Removing non-free from kernel
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:43:51 -0400

> I wish it could be that easy, apparently it can only be done manually.

The actual script used by Builder (the distribution generator gnewsense
uses) is
http://svn.gnewsense.svnhopper.net/filedetails.php?repname=gNewSense&path=%2Fbuilder%2Ftrunk%2Fgen-kernel

Thanks that's exactly what I'm looking for.

.  That script was made by hand by the devs (for which I am very
grateful), but I believe a heuristic (32 numerical constants in a row)
script
(http://svn.gnewsense.svnhopper.net/filedetails.php?repname=gNewSense&path=%2Fbuilder%2Ftrunk%2Ffirmware%2Ffind-firmware )
is used to start.  Then, someone has to go through this list and find
false positives. The process is obviously imperfect.

This sort of leads into my next question.  How do you find out what sections of the code are firmware dependant? I've never exactly looked through the code, (I don't know C well enough to be confident in knowing what I'm looking at).  Is there a list somewhere?