Re: [gNewSense-users] USB Flash Drives

From: Peter Garrett
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] USB Flash Drives
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 12:56:32 +1100

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:45:39 +0800
"Tin Tin" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > * If none of that works .....  set up a static line in fstab for the
> > device: but this will not work well, because udev will assign different
> > numbers depending on the order you plug usb devices etc into the system.
>
> Should the hotplug system be disabled?

As far as I know, hotplug is no longer used. It's all hal/udev now. And
no, you don't have to disable anything for this to work - it is just not
optimal to use fstab, because /dev is no longer static but volatile.

Thus there is no guarantee that, say, /dev/sda1 will be the right device -
if you plug your USB devices in a diffferent order, they might swap places,
so for example USB-one might become /dev/sda2 if plugged in after USB-two ,
which would already have the /dev/sda1 slot.

Are you confused yet ?  ;-)