Re: [gNewSense-users] Converting MP3 files to a free format

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Converting MP3 files to a free format
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 16:59:37 -0400

In most cases, if you're converting from MP3 you've got crappy sound
quality anyway. Most people I've discussed it with have prefered Ogg
over MP3 once they give it a serious try. One guy, actually, just
bought a new Cowon audio player because it supported Ogg, he says the
"highs are cleaner". The fact that it's a Free format means nothing to
him.

It may be that Ogg will encode your files with the best quality you
can have and still be a smaller file.

On 3/13/07, Michael Stevens <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 06:24:09PM +0000, Guy Johnston wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of a good programme to convert MP3s to a free format,
> and which would be the best format to use? I'd have thought FLAC would
> be the best, as it wouldn't decrease the quality, and it wouldn't
> increase the size as much as converting to an uncompressed format such
> as WAV. Obviously this would require having the MP3 decoder installed,
> so I'd probably do it on an Ubuntu installation, or temporarily install
> it on gNewSense from the Ubuntu Multiverse repository (if this is
> possible, does anyone know?).

I don't know about the conversion process, but I quite like ogg vorbis
as a free format. Lossy, but smaller than FLAC. Some people are
negative on the sound quality but it's fine for me.

Michael