Re: [gNewSense-users] Linksys WUSB54G in gNewSense?

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Linksys WUSB54G in gNewSense?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:19:21 -0500

I know this might sound extremely basic, but have you confirmed that
the Buffalo card actually works at all?

You said it was a USB card, and that pluging it in does nothing, and
no lights even come on. Since USB devices pull power from the port
itself, as long as the device is *working* and properly plugged in, it
should show _some_ activity.

-Kevin

On 2/28/07, Guy Johnston <address@hidden> wrote:
andrei raevsky wrote:
> On 2/28/07, *Dave Crossland* <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
>     On 28/02/07, andrei raevsky <address@hidden
>     <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>     >
>     > Linksys WUSB54G USB 2.0 802.11g/b 54Mbps
>
>     I'm running gNewSense 1.1 on my Thinkpad X31 and have bought two USB
>     wireless cards listed on
>     http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/net/wireless/cards.html but neither
>     work.
>

> oh boy, this is depressing... have you contacted the FSF to see why they
> listed those and how they (presumably) got them to work?

As far as I know, the FSF have only tested the two listed at the top of
that page. They mostly seem to just list cards which contain the RT2500
and RT2400 chipsets, because they're known to have drivers which work
fairly well on GNU/Linux without requiring any proprietary software.
They seem to mostly got their list from http://ralink.rapla.net/, which
isn't completely
correct. For example, it doesn't tell you that the WL-167g has different
chipsets for
different versions, and I bought the wrong version at one point. I'd
recommend sending any corrections to the person who made that list at
address@hidden, as
well as the FSF. I've sent a few suggestions to address@hidden, but
I've never seen them acted on or received a reply. Maybe they don't
remember to check it.