Re: [gNewSense-users] how to best backup my downloaded files?

From: Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] how to best backup my downloaded files?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 23:19:59 -0500

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 09:41:00 -0500
"andrei raevsky" <address@hidden> wrote:

> on another computer and just stick a CD in to add all the other
> applications previously downloaded.
>
> Now, I know that my downloaded files are in /var/cache/apt/archives files.

Burn those .deb files to a cd, if you re-install then simply move those files
back to var/cache/apt/archives and they will be used as long as a updated
version is not available in the repo. If you want ONLY to use those then
comment out everything in sources.list, update, and then install and it will be
pulled only from those files. No problem should arise from doing this.

(another method)
If you want a true apt repository mirror composed of those packages on a CD
that you can add to sources.list using 'apt-cdrom add' then you can use the
apt-move utility and it will create the repository structure and you then you
can burn it to a cd or host it locally or whatever. Be aware you should look at
and tweak the apt-move config file BEFORE using it or it could do things that
you do not want it to do.

> Also - Paul kindly sent me the DVD of the full gNewSense  1.1 sources
> (along with a gNewSense 1.1 and a gNewSense-KDE 1.1) ==>>which, by the
> way, I am would gladly snailmail to anyone needing them<<==

Not helpful in regards to re-installing and updating downloaded packages unless
you want to compile from source and/or create your own debs since I assume that
is the "sources" that were sent.

> Many thanks for any help,
>
> Andrei

many welcomes....if it is any help!
Dean!

Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com