Re: [gNewSense-users] newcomer's greetings

From: Peter Garrett
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] newcomer's greetings
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 04:59:42 +1100

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:25:52 +0000
Guy Johnston <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't think the Ubuntu community are too supportive of
> gNewSense, if they even have any idea what it is. I think most of them
> only support the open source movement, if they've even read about that.

This is rather dismissive :)

Actually quite a few people in Ubuntu know about gNewSense and are at least
in sympathy with it :) In an IRC channel like #ubuntu with up to a thousand
people at any given time, of course, you are likely to get either a
puzzled response, or misinformed reactions to gNewSense, unfortunately.

Also note that (strictly speaking) specifically gNewSense - related
questions in Ubuntu channels are off-topic - just as questions about
Debian, Mepis, or any other distro would be. Since there is such a large
overlap between Ubuntu and gNewSense though, many questions would be
answerable.

Do remember that gNewSense is based on Ubuntu and that quite a
number of community people are interested or involved in both, just as
quite a number of Ubuntu people are involved with Debian.

Peter