Re: [gNewSense-users] 2 questions

From: Chris F.A. Johnson
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] 2 questions
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 20:04:57 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Zplay wrote:
Marcelo Armengot Iborra wrotes:
-Is there a root user? I like to be my user and to be the root like
lifferent things...

As in Ubuntu too, there is no root user, just have to use "sudo". But
you can easily create the root account with: "sudo passwd root"

    As in every variety of Linux (and Unix), there is a root user. In
    Ubuntu and gNewSense, that user is not given a password. In order
    to run commands as root, you use sudo. This is adequate 90% of the
    time.

    At times it is much more convenient to start a root shell. You can
    do that with "sudo -i" (or "sudo bash", "sudo su -", etc.), or you
    can give root a password (sudo passwd root) and become root just
    as any other user. Whichever method you use, use it sparingly; you
    rarely need to be root.

--
   Chris F.A. Johnson                      <http://cfaj.freeshell.org>
   Author: