Re: [gNewSense-users] What is the firefox problem?

From: avr
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] What is the firefox problem?
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:41:35 +0100

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:46:44 +0000
"Damian Wardingley" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Andreas wrote
> >
> > GNU Iceweasel would take care of both problems. But the problem is we'd
> > have to wait
> > for it to trickle down from the repository upstream or package and maintain
> > it
> > ourselves.
> >
> Thanks everyone.
>
> So, should we be using the GNOME Epiphany browser as a matter of
> course instead of Firefox?

There is no need to purge it from your system if you have already installed it.
If you are running firefox without proprietary plugins, you are running Free
Software. The problem is new users who are unaware of the problem being misled
into installing non-free software.

Unless the problem becomes pervasive and can no longer be remediated by
informing
and explaining there's no need for any drastic cleansing actions that would take
developer time away from more important things.

On the other hand, if you have the time and knowledge the most contructive
course
would be to not use firefox yourself and try out the binary test version of
GNU-Iceweasel at
http://gnuzilla.gnu.org/download/iceweasel-1.5.0.7-g2-i386.tar.bz2

That way you can help upstream so that the Iceweasel will be in better shape
when
it finally replaces firefox.

        friendly,
        Andreas