Re: [gNewSense-users] More on the mp3 issue

From: rek2 GNU/Linux LO LO LO
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] More on the mp3 issue
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 11:14:50 -0500

How long for mp3 to end the patent? I mean is like 10 years? if so it should be near.. in my personal opinion, as long there is Ogg, I can care less about mp3, if someone gives me a mp3 and my system can't play it, I just convert it to Ogg format, this brings me with one idea, whatever we do I will support but if we decide to not include mp3 support, then we should make a script were that users can use to convert to Ogg all their media.

Chris Fernadez
http://www.binaryfreedom.info

MJ Ray wrote:
"Markus Laire" <address@hidden> wrote:
So anyone distributing gNS would need a license.

If and only if they are in a place where software patents are valid?

Personally, I'd drop it from whatever defaults you can, to stick two
fingers up at the patenters, but I'm not too worried about it.

Regards,