Re: [gNewSense-users] more on firefox and one possible fix]

From: Bake Timmon
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] more on firefox and one possible fix]
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:21:20 -0500

"Janet Hawtin" <address@hidden> writes:

> I realise that currently we are having very big debates in a very small team.
> wondering if we can turn the distro debate around.
> would it be possible to ask ubuntu/debian/fedora to flag all really
> free components
> that way gns could be somewhere where you could find the really free aspects
> of
> a range of distributions. it would mean that the other distros would
> have to be interested in doing this, but it would be more handy than
> debating which is the better distro. I dont know if this is
> technically realistic just seems like a more practical way for other
> distros to demonstrate their ability to provide safe code to gns?

In principle, I like the "range of distributions" concept.  However,
it is an idea before its time.  I believe it's infeasible because for
each distribution, packages have "dependencies" to other packages
within that distribution.  Thus, mixing distributions could set up
conflicts and unmet dependencies. Moreover, the mere testing and
security implications of mixing would probably kill the idea.  There
are additional technical obstacles, too.

I am prepared to move on from the debate about the best distro.

Thanks,
Bake