Re: [gNewSense-users] Wireless Question

From: Theodore Ruegsegger
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Wireless Question
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 07:19:49 -0500

Matt Crandall  wrote:

I had a question.  I currently only have wireless net
access available to me, and as such need the wireless in
my laptop to work.  I'm using ndiswrapper and the broadcom
drivers right now (yech!) because that's my internal setup
(Dell Inspiron 2200 Laptop).  Was thinking about buying a
PCMCIA wireless card that is more GPL friendly, and was
looking for recommendations?

http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/net/wireless/cards.html

It lists several chipsets and PCMCIA or USB adapters that
use them. I tested some USB wireless adapters with Kubuntu
Dapper a while back and found two that work well.

* LINKSYS WUSB54G USB wireless b/g adapter:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16833124126
Works just fine; plug it in and enable the interface.  My
device turned out, as I had hoped, to be version 4, which
uses the FSF-endorsed Ralink chipset.

* D-Link DWL-G122 USB wireless b/g adapter:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16833127151
Also works fine, and the version turned out to be rev B1,
which uses the FSF-endorsed Ralink chipset.

The reason I care about versions (not that I can specify the
version when ordering!) is that different versions of the
same device might use entirely different chipsets. The Linux
wireless LAN support page at
http://linux-wless.passys.nl/index.php
spells out which version uses which chipset. In the case of
both these devices, the other versions should also be
supported, using different drivhttp://linux-wless.passys.nl/index.php
ers.

For grins, and since it was cheap and tiny, I also tested:

* Zonet ZEW2501
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16833130115
I couldn't get this to work, but then I noted that I have
the newer version of the chipset, zd1211b rather than
plain old zd1211. This is supported, but would require my
recompiling the driver to enable it, per:
http://zd1211.ath.cx/

Since I have two that work just fine, I'll just wait a
while until the "out of the box" driver works with it. At
that price, I could also give it away to someone afflicted
with a Windows box.

Note that these tests used Kubuntu Dapper, before I ever
heard of gNewSense; if they got any help from a proprietary
driver, I'm not sure I'd know.

HTH,
Ted