Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: gNewSense-users Digest, Vol 2, Issue 25

From: Michael Kaye
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: gNewSense-users Digest, Vol 2, Issue 25
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 18:09:13 +0000

On 10/11/06, Andrew Wigglesworth <address@hidden> wrote:
On Friday 10 November 2006 17:37, Michael Kaye wrote:
> It's not included in Debian and Ubuntu because it supports formats
> that are covered by patents (such as MP3).
>
> This is both for ethical reasons (patents are a bad thing), and to
> protect them from the risk of prosecution and demand of royalties.
>
> Michael.

Ahem, for the sake of accuracy:

mplayer will be included in Debian Etch, see this faq for details:

http://people.debian.org/~mjr/legal/mplayer.html

Also, the whole world is not covered by US patent law.

Thank you for that update. I was not aware of the change in stance.
It's an interesting one, and I hope to get more detail.

For the record, I'm in the UK.

Michael.
--
Cutting Free (http://cuttingfree.blogsome.com) - Free Software at the