Re: [gNewSense-users] Is Fedora 100% free software? If so, how does it d

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Is Fedora 100% free software? If so, how does it differ from gNewSense?
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 21:44:31 +0000

On 06/11/06, jeff <address@hidden> wrote:

http://wtogami.livejournal.com/11305.html

Thanks for this link :-)

P.S. I'm sorry I'm sounding like some fedora-zealot in this mailing-list so
far. I'm really not! It's just I have a bit of knowledge about that distro and
it's "freeness".  :)

Although you mentioned 'open source' kinda views, I note that
http://fedora.redhat.com/ uses the term 'free software' prominently.
However, you're right that mainly they say 'open source'.

After looking at the Fedora site's package submission guidelines, I
guess I see it like Ubuntu is 90%, Fedora is 99% and gNewSense is 100%
Free Software.

-- 8< --

Binary Firmware

Some applications and drivers require binary-only firmware to
function. Fedora permits inclusion of these files as long as they meet
the following requirements:

Requirements:

* The files are non-executable (note: this means that the files cannot
run on their own, not that they are just chmod -x)

* The files are not libraries.

* The files are standalone, not embedded in executable or library code.

* Explicit permission is given by the owner to freely distribute
without restrictions (this permission must be included, in "writing",
with the files in the packaging)

* The files must be necessary for the functionality of open source
code being included in Fedora.

If you are unsure whether or not your files meet these requirements,
ask on fedora-extras-list, and we will examine them for you.

-- 8< --

- http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines

I was please to see that Fedora Extras is also committed to their Free
Software policy -
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/CoreVsExtras - and while
there are some 3rd party repositories with non-free, these are
distanced from official Fedora in a way which makes me annoyed to have
used & recommended Ubuntu. when Fedora was already there and waiting
:-)

And look, they also have a list of non-free software and suggestions
about what to do:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems

--
Regards,