Re: [gNewSense-users] firefox?

From: Brian Brazil
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] firefox?
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 21:06:45 +0000

On 11/6/06, Dave Crossland <address@hidden> wrote:
On 06/11/06, Brian Brazil <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 11/6/06, Vim Visual <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I love the idea behind gNewSense... what I don't understand is why you
> > include firefox and not iceweasel if copyleft is that important (and
> > it is).
>
> There are two issues here, and I'd prefer them to be kept seperate.
> The first is if Firefox is non-free? If it is we will, as with any
> other package, etiher change it to be free, or remove it.

It is well documented - eg http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/ -
that Firefox included non-free software in the Mozilla builds, though
the sourcecode is freely available.

The reporting thingy (I forget the name, but I know we checked) isn't
in Ubuntu Firefox, and hence not in gNewsense.

Given gNewSense is meant to be FSF-blessed, I'd assume it would prefer
gnuzilla over firefox.

Seperate issue.

> The second is what should our default web browser be (in Gnome anyway).

I recommend IceWeasel because it is compatibly with Firefox

I should have mentioned a third issue: should we include IceWeasel.

Brian