Re: [Gnewsense-dev] gNewSense 5

From: dww
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] gNewSense 5
Date: Fri, 06 May 2016 20:13:48 -0400

On Fri, 2016-05-06 at 09:21 +0200, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
> Op Wed, 04 May 2016 23:17:23 -0400
> schreef dww <address@hidden>:
>
> > Even with the freedom changes is there not a way to make the source
> > changes and then help automate the process of generating all the files
> > needed for the repository?  Perhaps there is just too much variation
> > between packages.
>
> Building packages is usually not a problem (if the code compiles). It
> can be automated given a VCS repo with the debian folder for each
> package (like we have now) or a helper script per package (like
> Trisquel).

Would it be possible to extend the framework whereby the developer can
fill out a data file based on a template.  A script would read the file
and attempt to create and modify appropriate files needed to update the
package and then build it.

I imagine there would be many cases where this would not work
completely. So there would still be manual inspection and reworking.

Dennis