Re: [Gnewsense-dev] [License] FDLv1.3 & CC by 3.0 compatibility

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] [License] FDLv1.3 & CC by 3.0 compatibility
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 20:36:49 +0200

r. siddharth wrote:
I want to know if a work licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license[1] can be used in another work that is going to be licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License v1.3[2] ?

As far as I know, that is possible. (IANAL)

"Why am I asking this ?"

Well, I am chalking out a website documentation page for Awesome Window Manager and might be using (part of) the .awesomerc[3] configuration file available in the Awesome's wiki. I observed that "content" published under the Awesome's wiki is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License & gNewSense's documentation is licensed under the FDLv1.3. Now I am under a dilemma whether to use the .awesomerc file for gNewSense docs.

It might be enough of a creative expression to be copyrightable, but on the other hand it's "just" a configuration file that's probably very similar to dozens of other awesomerc files, published or not.

If you decide to use it, please leave out any references to non-free software (e.g. Acroread).