Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Xulrunner freedom bug: how to apply patch?

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Xulrunner freedom bug: how to apply patch?
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 22:47:51 +0100

Christophe Jarry wrote:
I talked with Karl about this on IRC. The procedure to patch packages would be something like this:

1) apt-get source <package>

So we stick with xulrunner-1.9.1.4-2, while debian mipsel version is 1.9.1.15-1~bpo50+1?

I assume Lenny's xulrunner (1.9) still doesn't work. In that case it makes sense to track lenny-backports instead of sticking with one version from it. So I suggest you work with the latest (mipsel) version of lenny-backports. Source package there is iceweasel, IIRC.

2) Merge our debian directory.

I don't understand this step: what does it mean? How do you do it?

We will keep only our additions/modifications to the source package's debian subdirectory in Bazaar. To be able to merge that with Debian's source package it will have to be in a patchable form, i.e. diff -ruN.

So get the Debian source package, make a copy of it, modify the copy appropriately and put the diff between both sources in a bzr tree.

3) make get-orig-source
4) dch -i
5) dpkg-buildpackage
6) Upload.

The xulrunner change can probably go in a debian/patches/ file. A get-orig-source rule [1] should only be necessary if we want to
remove non-free code from the source tarball.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Complete#Changing%20the%20Original%20Tarball
I understand those 4 steps.

I have discovered something myself that could help us:
firefox-3.6.12.source.tar.bz2 (latest stable) and
xulrunner-1.9.2.12.source.tar.bz2 (latest stable) contain the exact
same files and directories:

(snip)
That's quite possible and that's probably why xulrunner is part of iceweasel in lenny-backports.

So I thought it could be interesting to build xulrunner upon icecat's
(http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/) source code directly. We could
use the version of icecat that corresponds to the version of iceweasel
in debian so that we avoid dependancies problems.

Merging Iceweasel and IceCat is on our wishlist [1]. We welcome any steps that can help make this happen. With regards to security issues, OS integration and gNS developer resources it's preferrable to IceCat patches to Iceweasel instead of replacing all of Iceweasel with IceCat, IMO.

I think we almost have our xulrunner with those, after some editing in
mozconfig file.

[1] https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?28177