[Gnewsense-dev] Re: Deltah bazaar repo

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Deltah bazaar repo
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 18:51:33 +0300

Paul O'Malley wrote:
> On 27/08/10 01:29, Dmitry Samoyloff wrote:
> > Our abuse of Savannah: http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107429
> >
> > Well, I understand "we're generally not prepared to host a
> > complete distro", the bandwidth and such, but the "legal checks"
> > have no sense to me in this

While all packages in gNS should be completely free (modulo bugs yet
to be discovered), not all of them are GPL-compatible.  Savannah has a
requirement all software to be GPL-compatible, and all documentation
to be GFDL-compatible.

> the gnu project - that is software that is GPL, not all free software
> which could have other licences

No.  GNU packages are official packages maintained and released under
the GNU project's umbrella.  Most of them are GPL, but some are under
other licenses (LGPL, AGPL, or Modified BSD like ncurses' license).

There are thousands of other free software packages licensed under the
GPL which are not GNU packages.  This is a common misunderstanding,
unfortunately.