Re: [Gnewsense-dev] metad testing repo and gpl ghostscript

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] metad testing repo and gpl ghostscript
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 21:01:59 +0930

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 12:12:07 -0400
Kete <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wednesday August 4, 2010 8:43:35 am Karl Goetz wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 21:54:54 -0400
> >
> > Kete <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Hello, is there anything I can do to help build a gNS 3 repo
> based on
> > > Debian testing? It's not an unstable repo, and I'd like to get new
> > > features as they come out but still use gNS.
> >
> > hm,
> > Do you code python or c?
> > And or are you familiar with ubuntu's merge tools and processes?
> No and no, but now, I wish I did and was.

oh well.

> > > Also, if y'all use GPL Ghostscript, then you'll probably want to
> > > switch to GNU Ghostscript because somehow, even though it's
> GPL, it
> >
> > Switch to it instead of what?
> instead of GPL Ghostscript if u use it

Why don't you check? :/

21:00:13 address@hidden: ~ $ dpkg -l *ghostscript*
(trim)
ii  ghostscript    8.62.dfsg.1-3. The GPL Ghostscript PostScript/PDF
interpret
un  ghostscript-x  <none>         (no description available)

> > > uses restrictive Adobe files for fonts, and I know Debian uses it
> b/c
> >
> > Does it, or does it strip them out? (Or are these the files that
> > were previously proprietary and then freed?)
> That's something I wasn't aware of but would like to know myself.

ref package name above - .dfsg

> > > it's on my box. Libre Planet has a whole page of packages like
> this
> > > at
> > >
> http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Fre
> > > e_System_Distribution_Guidelines
> >
> > YOu may not have noticed, but a large portion of that list comes
> from
> > gNS (infact i think we have more things which are yet to be added,
> care
> > to update it? :))
> > kk
> oh, I see some gNS bugs on some references! Sure, I'll update a few
> for you all. Just lead the way

our blacklists are in the builder+metad bzr repos, if you want to look
through them.
gen scripts are in builder repo.

On Wednesday August 4, 2010 8:43:35 am Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 21:54:54 -0400
> Do you code python or c?
PS Just in case, I do know some C++

not sure if that helps specifically, but i'm sure there is something to
work on :)
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)