Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Important bug reports (GNU documentation missing

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Important bug reports (GNU documentation missing)
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 22:37:20 +0930

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 23:23:07 +0200
address@hidden wrote:

> During my work on packaging GNU documentation for gNewSense metad, I
> found some strange things, which may be bugs to be reported to GNU:
>
> -in GCC-4.5.0 source code:
>
>   -most of the documentation is under the GNU FDL v1.2 or later,
> while it should be under GNU FDL v1.3 or later (cpp.info, gcc.info,
> gccinstall.info, gccint.info, gcj.info, gfortran.info, gnat*.texi,
> libgomp.info);

why should it? 1.2 or later is pretty much the same as 1.3 or later.

>   -'gfortran.info' is copyrighted by the FSF '1999-2008', although
> it should be under the form '1999, 2000, [other years], 2008';

Why? there is no requirement to specify every year one at a time. is
this a style requirement of gnu doco?

> -in Binutils-2.20.1 source code:
>
>   -'standards.info' is under GFDL v1.2 or later instead of GFDL v1.3
> or later;

As above.

>   -some files have FSF copyright years written in the form '99'
> instead of '1999' (as.info, gprof.info, ld.info), I don't know if
> this matters much.

well... will the docs still be around in 90 years? ;)

> -in GDB-7.1 source code:
>
>   -most of the documentation is released under the GNU FDL v1.1 or
> later (annotate.info, gdb.info, gdbint.info, stabs.info) or GNU FDL
> v1.2 or later (standards.info), while it should be under GNU FDL
> v1.3 or later.

what does 1.3 or later provide over 1.2 or later for this
documentation??

> For my 'gnu-doc' package, I plan to use the 'bfd.info' file released
> in gdb-7.1 source code, which is more recent than binutils-2.20.1
> one. Do you think it is a problem to include latest versions of GNU
> documentation in 'gnu-doc' package, while GNU software available in
> gNewSense metad is older?

i'd say its a problem, since part of the point here is getting the
correct doco for the software we are shipping.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au