Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Mipsel gNS 3 + crypto

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Mipsel gNS 3 + crypto
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 23:03:19 +0200

Ted Smith schreef:
On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 23:04 +0200, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
Ted Smith schreef:
The kernel has no crypto support compiled in, and the modules for crypto
support aren't in the initramfs or even in the gNewSense package.
We pull in what linux-libre.fsfla.org provides.

I mean, the kernel has support for all of those things; they just
weren't included in the binary or in the initrd as modules provided. The
build seems to have been custom-rolled by Robert Milan.

Netboot files: yes; regular kernel is Linux-libre.

In fact, it seems so custom-rolled that 'apt-get source
linux-image-2.6.31.6-libre1' is an impossible command on my system.

I haven't looked at our Linux-libre repo section in detail, but I believe the source is provided in linux-source-xxx debs rather than the usual tar.gz+.dsc way.

Further, it was very difficult to find the source package for the
linux-image-2.6.31.6-libre1 package, and I don't even know if it's
possible to find the source for the netboot image I downloaded off of
the gNewSense servers. Could anyone point me to that?
As said before, the netboot image was created before we had our metad code under VCS. At the time we were happy that we could get the distro booted and didn't worry too much about the source. We don't have the source to the netboot image. This must be fixed.

Yikes. Is that even GPL-compliant?

Well, *cough* as I said: this must be fixed.

I think the best solution would be to try to rebuild the initramfs with
a more recent kernel, since the 2.6.33 kernel builds have all the
modules I need. I'm not sure if the partitioner will recognize that, but
if it doesn't I can go from there.
Your findings will be appreciated.

I'll post them here as soon as I have them, and/or document them on the
wiki depending on how much energy for this I have.

Thanks.