Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Mr. S. Zacchiroli, Debian and gNS3...

From: al3xu5 / dotcommon
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Mr. S. Zacchiroli, Debian and gNS3...
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 21:50:22 +0200

Il giorno martedì 11/05/2010 12:34:30 CEST
"Jason Self" <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> > Q. (Interviewer) - Will Debian continue using as default a Linux
> > kernel that integrates binary blobs and other non-free software, or
> > do you think it should adopt a completely free kernel such as that
> > of the Linux-libre project? [Note: This is a question I suggested
> > to the ossblog.it Interviewer... ;-) ]
> >
> > A. (Zacchiroli) - Debian kernel developers have worked over the
> > years to separate the non-free firmware from the rest of the Linux
> > kernel. It was a long job which forced us to compromise for a
> > couple of releases. Today I am proud to say that the problem,
> > starting from the next release of Debian Squeeze is solved (except
> > bugs, of course, which are always possible!). The free firmware
> > part of Linux is now included in Debian and resides in the
> > "firmware-linux-free" package; this firmware is 100% compatible
> > with the Debian Free Software Guidelines. The non-free firmware is
> > not part of Debian, although it is hosted on our mirrors for those
> > who wish to use it; its containing package is
> > "firmware-linux-nonfree". Many people have protested for the
> > compromises that indeed our developers have done in the past but,
> > meanwhile, they have never stopped working towards the goal of
> > separating the free firmware from the non-free.
>
> It's fake freedom. There's no progress in Debian in moving toward
> freedom. All that they're doing is moving the non-free parts of the
> kernel to their non-free repository, where they're just an "aptitude
> install blah-blah-blah" away. I'm sure that this will also be
> mentioned in their documentation, so the users can find it and
> install it, and so the non-free software is still there; where it's
> located is just a detail. They need to actually get rid of it. As in
> delete, not move.

obviously i totally agree with you!

the question that I suggested to the interviewer was precisely intended
to be a polemic question...

anyway, having a Debian "firmware-linux-free" package and a separated
"firmware-linux-non-free" package may become useful for people
developing Debian-derivated 100% free software distros

regards
al3xu5 / dotcommon

--
Support free software! Join FSF: http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=7535