Re: [Gnewsense-dev] New base for gNewSense 3]

From: cristian paul peñaranda rojas
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] New base for gNewSense 3]
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:30:15 -0500

----- Forwarded message from Karl Goetz <address@hidden> -----

From: Karl Goetz <address@hidden>
To: cristian paul peñaranda rojas <address@hidden>

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:08:54 -0500
cristian paul peñaranda rojas <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 04:19:58PM +1030, Karl Goetz wrote:
> > Hi all,

Was your reply supposed to be off list? If not feel free to reply this
back to the list.

> > (CCing Robert, since I feel this is important to the work he has
> > done).
> >
> > After producing a lot of hot air [0] recently, I've decided to send
> > this email.
> >
> > gNewSense 3 will be rebased from the current Debian stable, to
> > Debian testing, as soon as it is frozen by the Debian release
> > managers. Members of our community [1] have provided a huge amount
> > of work towards gNewSense, but based on Debian stable.
>
> Great move, mirroring it right now :)

Where 'it' means testing i assume :)

> > I have decided that the number (and variety) of backports has
> > caused a number of issues for package maintenance, and this
> > outweighs the delta we worry about when dealing with Debian.
> >
> > The next Debian release is still in 'development mode', so (as a
> > distro) it is quite open to accepting patches. Now is the time for
> > us to file bugs and submit patches that we feel affect a gNS based
> > on squeeze (Debian testing), and to try and get them fixed.
> >

> What do you know about posible separate blobs in linux kernel for
> queeze?

No. I'm going to be relying on linux-libre to a large degree. I haven't
decided if we'll deblob a debian kernel and ship it (my preference), or
use a debianised linux-libre from lxo.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)