[Gnewsense-dev] Re: No xv?

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: No xv?
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 19:58:00 +0200

Karl Goetz wrote:
> > Should x11-common be fixed not to refer to xv?

> That means recompiling dozens (hundreds?) of packages for no gain
> other then to remove 10 characters from a meta file.

Why do you think so?  I haven't investigated closely, but it seems to
me that rebuilding x11-common with xv removed from its Conflicts: will
be the immediate cure.  There should be no other packages involved.

On a more general note, I find that many (free) packages in Debian
cater for non-free conflicts, mostly to assist in error-free
transitions stable->newstable.  For example, the `xv' issue is a
remnant from the X11 transition that took place during the Etch->Lenny
cycle (AFAIR, at aleast).

I don't think it's the job of an entirely free distro to ensure
flawless upgrade process for those users who have nonfree packages
installed, so I personally do not see any reason to resist these kind
of changes (i.e. dropping useless Conflicts: package relationships).