Re: [Gnewsense-dev] package linux-image- cannot be authen

From: Lars Nooden
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] package linux-image- cannot be authenticated
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 19:50:52 +0200

Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 00:05:43 +0200
> Lars Nooden <address@hidden> wrote:
>> First it gives the error,
>>      WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
>>        linux-image-2.6.31-libre1
>> Other packages authenticate fine.
> Are you able to install them by hand anyway?

Not yet.  I ran into the authentication problem.  As I get time, I'll
try it again an also try debootstrap.

>> Second it compounds that error by rolling ahead without stopping.  It
>> could be that this mistake has been fixed:
> I can't view this page.

That page itself might not be useful.  What it describes is a bug report
for apt-get where packages that fail authentication are accepted for
installation anyway when the --yes option is used.  --yes on ubuntu's
now fails if a package fails authentication, but the old behavior can be
found using --allow-unauthenticated.  Preseed and kickstart are at risk.

The result is that, via man-in-the-middle, a fake package could be
loaded with a payload in either the pre- or post-install script.  Only
one package is needed to root the system.