Re: [Gnewsense-dev] How does gNewSense mipsel-looks like

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] How does gNewSense mipsel-looks like
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 21:01:08 +0100

Robert Millan schreef:
On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 01:53:28AM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
Hi all,

I just finished to reinstall and fine tune the gNewSense distribution on my
Yeeloong laptop with the new initrd.gz file (version dated 3th mars) provided by
Robert Millan.

I tried the tftp installation procedure (see
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Projects/GNewSenseToMIPS#toc222 ), whit a tftp server
installed on a Fuloong mini box with the latest debian distribution (according
to http://dev.lemote.com/drupal/node/58 ).

The unique issue was the manual configuration of the Xorg server, adding a line
withe the fbdev option in the xorg.conf file.

The source.list files has a new repository:

deb http://dev.lemote.com/debian-loongson loongson main

A screenshot is provided on the wiki page (
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Projects/GNewSenseToMIPS ) for the sake of curiosity.

Hi,

It's strange, in my setup the top left debian swirl was replaced by the
gNewSense logo, but not in yours.  Did you install gnewsense-pkgsel-desktop ?

What happens if you login as a pristine, newly created user?

Does this also happen to others?

I've got the Debian swirl in my top left as well, with gnewsense-pkgsel-desktop installed. I've also got a Debian GDM theme, although gnewsense-gdm-themes is installed according to dpkg.

Something else I've noticed: I can't start any apps from the menu that use su-to-root (like Synaptic) or gksu (like Terminal as root). I get a password window and after I fill that in and click OK nothing happens. When I copy the commands from the menu editor into a terminal, the same thing happens, with to output in the terminal. I can start Synaptic just fine with sudo or gksudo.

And then another thing: update-manager doesn't start. And that's not only because of what I said in the previous paragraph. When I start it from a terminal it complains that /usr/share/python-apt/templates//gNewSense.info doesn't exist.

By the way, do we have a bug tracker for this stuff? Do we need one or do you expect everything to fall into place soon? If we do, should we use bugs.gnewsense.org or just a bulleted list on the wiki page(s)?