[Gnewsense-dev] Call for testers: gNewSense / MIPS almost complete

From: Robert Millan
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Call for testers: gNewSense / MIPS almost complete
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 00:36:07 +0100

Hi,

gNewSense for MIPS/Yeeloong is almost complete now.  What we have is:

  - A blob-free Linux image that works on the Yeeloong.

  - A port of D-I.

  - A set of changes that implement gNewSense branding/theming.

  - A set of APT archives that provide:
    - Lenny without the non-free packages (pruned-upstream)
    - Security support, again without the non-free bits
(pruned-upstream-security)
    - An overlay with replacements for the non-free bits and/or branding stuff,
etc

A netboot image can be obtained from:

  http://aybabtu.com/rmh/gnewsense/netboot/

Instructions:

  - Put vmlinux and initrd.gz in a USB image (in the example I used ext2)

  - Get to pmon2000 prompt and type:

      load /dev/fs/address@hidden/vmlinux
      initrd /dev/fs/address@hidden/initrd.gz
      g console=tty no_auto_cmd

  - Follow installation process in D-I.

  - Once finished, your system can be boot with:

      load /dev/fs/address@hidden/boot/vmlinux-2.6.27.1-yeeloong
      g console=tty no_auto_cmd root=/dev/hda3

    (assuming you installed to third partition of the internal
    disk, otherwise you'll have to change wd0c and hda3)

    And you can make this the default by setting "al" and "karg"
    variables.

Some areas could need a bit more polish but everything is there already.
The system in my laptop now looks like gNewSense, walks like gNewSense and
smells like gNewSense.

I need people to help identify issues that need to be addressed.  Please
test the image above and report.  Thank you!

--
Robert Millan