gnewsense-art

Re: [gNewSense-art] gNewSense complete theme revision idea

From: Luis Felipe Lopez Acevedo
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-art] gNewSense complete theme revision idea
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 15:28:45 -0500

El mié, 23-09-2009 a las 23:32 -0400, Forest Purnell escribió:
> Hi Everybody! My name is Forest. I'm new to this mailing list, and just
> wanted to add a couple
> comments.

Hi!

> With all due respect to Frederique's logo idea, I disagree with it. In my
> opinion, the
> gNewSense logo should evoke ideas like equality, efficiency, community,
> transparency, and
> freedom to choose. This is why I like the idea of a tree. Trees belong to a
> complex,
> interdependent community of life in which waste is minimized by the very
> principles of the
> system. This, to me, also describes the nature of free software. It is true
> that free software
> can be "powerful," but if we're just talking about the end-user experience,
> the same could be
> said for a lot of proprietary software. The real strength of free software to
> me is the
> potential control it gives people over the tools they work with, the sense of
> common ownership
> of those tools, and all of the material and functional benefits that result
> from those two things.
>
> That said, I agree the logo right now isn't pretty. Perhaps some master logo
> designer can
> spend a few hours being a digital bonsai artist and share the results.

I'd like the logo to be attractive both in appearance and meaning. I
could try to design a new logo but, as far as I know, there are no
master artists in the team :) and the new tree could end looking as a
paint splash when used in small sizes (trees are tricky).

> I'm also wondering if gNewSense has any official color(s) at this point, like
> how Ubuntu has
> that reddish-brown, or SuSe has green and blue. It would be helpful to pin
> those down before
> any themes or logos get made.

No, there's no official color palette. When I do some artwork, I take
the current desktop theme colors as a base (as I did for the website).

I made a set of themes and other artwork called NuevoSentido[1] in which
I propose a new look for gNewSense. This theme includes a modification
of the original logo and a consistent color palette (or so I think).
But this theme is not official.

1. http://wiki.gnewsense.org/ArtworkProjects/NuevoSentido