gnewsense-art

[gNewSense-art] gNewSense 3.0 theme/logo suggestions

From: Frederique W. Piccart
Subject: [gNewSense-art] gNewSense 3.0 theme/logo suggestions
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 22:22:59 +0200

As for the upcoming gNewSense 3.0, together with the website revision
preceding it, I was thinking of maybe renewing the gNewSense theme art
completely, including the logo. I believe gNewSense will grow out to be
a really decent and known OS. I do not want people to think "gNewSense
is just a free Debian", I want gNewSense to be a respected OS, somewhat
independent. As we get more people interested, and more developers
helping us out, we can definitely achieve this.

I was thinking we could be really proud of, such as the Debian theme,
which is really liked by many, but disregarded due to what it
represents. A good idea might be to go for a modern approach.

As for the logo, I was thinking of a silver like power orb, consuming
energy surrounding it to a single point in the center. This could
represent the strength of true free software, and how it brings people
together.

Here is a usplash (loading screen) theme that looks really decent,
modern and impressive (in my opinion). It has nothing to do with the
described idea above, but it might be a decent guideline for the modern
approach I have in mind, so I decided to throw it in:
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Heliocentric+-+Usplash?content=103632

As for the power orb, I was thinking of it to be silver with a nice
shine on it. Here are a few power orb pictures, but none of them show
the idea of absorbing the energy around to a single point (see below
for that idea): http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2001-08-31/orb.jpg
http://www.wyrdology.com/other/orbs/blue-orb.jpg
http://media.photobucket.com/image/power%20orb/Tam46/MAGIC-ORB.jpg

As for how the energy should be captured, a picture of our milky way
might be a good representation, but however instead of the energy
flowing outwards, it should flow inwards:
http://science9.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/milky_way_schematic.jpg

I also don't know if we should put a lot of text in our themes. I know
gNewSense came to existence to provide true freedom, but I don't think
we should put this everywhere such as on the login screen, on the
wallpapers, and so on.

I'm sorry if this might be a bit rough or confusing, I tried to express
in the best possible way.

gNewSense 3.0 might be something that could take a long time from now,
so this gives the artwork team the time to try different things, and
maybe implement extra ideas if they try out the above.

- Frederique W. Piccart