gnats-prs

Re: gnats/218: PRs fail to show up in index

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: Re: gnats/218: PRs fail to show up in index
Date: 16 Aug 2001 08:14:01 -0000

The following reply was made to PR gnats/218; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Yngve Svendsen <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden, address@hidden
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:07:43 +0200

 At 22:30 13.07.2001 +0000, address@hidden wrote:
 >FreeBSD aphid.juniper.net 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE
 >a gnats database with ~16000 PRs, and ~100 frequent users.
 >~60 PRs modified per day, ~30 PRs added per day.
 >several times a week, PRs disappear from the index (or, in the
 >case of new PRs, never show up).  this renders them effectively
 >invisible, and causes great consternation among users.
 >
 >regenerating the index fixes the problem, but that locks up the
 >the database for a couple minutes, which annoys users.
 >
 >interestingly, gnats comes with a database monitoring script,
 >check-db.sh, which looks for inconsistencies in the index, so
 >this would appear to be a known problem.

 Dirk,

 I have seen similar things on GNATS 3.x, where submitting PRs by mail with
 long Subject fields corrupts the index in such a way that some PRs are
 effectively rendered invisible. Could this be the problem here? Could you
 have a look at the PRs that disappear and maybe send me one of them?

 - Yngve