[Gnash-dev] Re: SIGPIPE handling

From: John Gilmore
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re: SIGPIPE handling
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 17:50:39 -0700

> -        bytesSent = ::send(_socket, buf, toWrite, MSG_NOSIGNAL);
> +        // I'd like to get no SIGPIPE here, as we wouldn't
> +        // know how to handle. Instead, for broken pipe I'd
> +        // prefer being notified with a return of -1.
> +        // Is that possible, in a standard way ?
> +        // MSG_NOSIGNAL was reported as being non-standard flag..
> +        bytesSent = ::send(_socket, buf, toWrite, 0);

The usual way is to do:

    signal(SIGPIPE, SIG_IGN);

which says to ignore that signal rather than deliver it.  This is a
stateful setting, which remains set until the process ends or you
change it.  This is a portable construct (though most other uses
of signal() are not portable).

The return value can be used to re-establish the former SIGPIPE
handler if you want; or it can just be thrown away if you're doing
this in mainline (rather than library) code and you know you don't
ever want to restore the default or former setting.

        John