Re: [Gnash-dev] GUIs

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] GUIs
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 07:29:29 -0600

On 10/12/10 06:17, Benjamin Wolsey wrote:

> The current design isn't user-friendly: you can't open the GUI without
> playing a SWF file, and you can only play one file per session. It might
> be preferable to abandon this single GUI design completely and make
> individual GUIs for each supported toolkit. But whichever way we go in
> future, the current situation only slows down development of new
> features (and renderers).

  I disagree of course we should abandon our current GUI design, but do
agree some of them are unsupported. Removing the code for some of these
doesn't really benefit anything but having less code wrapped in ifdefs.

> For this reason I think it's best to be aggressive in removing GUIs from
> Gnash's codebase, preferring to allow them to be developed separately.
> Obviously, any code removed can still be retrieved using git.
>
> The things I'd like to remove, along with the reasons, are:
>
> hwaccel:
> xv - doesn't work.

  As noted before on this list, our implementation will never give us
any performance benefits.

> GUI support:
> riscos - not used

  NO clue as to it's usability or maintainance level.

> aqua - doesn't work.

  We should wait on this one for a little while, as there may be some
motion here in the near term.

> hildon - not used.
> alp - not used.

  Hildon & ALP are pretty minor, they're variations of GTK used for
mobile devices, ALP for the Acess phones, and Hildon for Moblin/LIMO. I
think these can go away now.

> fltk - uses FLTK2, which is no longer developed.

  Unfortunately fltk1 is what is still being shipped, ftlk2 was better.
The point of fltk was to eventually replace SDL, which never happened.

        - rob -