Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: no AVM2 for a while?

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: no AVM2 for a while?
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 16:01:56 +0200

>    To fix the classes.all test cases requires fixing either HAXE or our
> AVM2 code to execute HAXE based test cases. For more than simple test
> cases, I found as3compile too limited still. The tests in that directory
> do work well for versions older than v9, we've been using them, and I
> fail to see why you have a bad attitude about them. That test suite has
> primarily been developed by college students, give em a break.

To fix the classes.all testsuite requires going through and fixing the
results after testing with the Adobe player. It has completely nothing
to do with haxe or with our AVM2 code.

I spent quite a while running the tests with the Adobe player and posted
the results of failing tests. Some tests pass when the SWF9 version is
run and fail when lower versions are run. Some do the opposite.

What I fail to understand is why you complain to me instead of getting
it fixed. I'm sure everyone understands that having accurate results in
the testsuite is essential to avoid breaking Gnash. The fact that you've
been "using them" doesn't make them correct. On the contrary, the fact
that some tests return incorrect results means that they contribute to
getting things wrong.

The work that's been done over the summer has been partly very good from
all the interns. Anyone new to hacking on Gnash is also bound to make
mistakes. But that does not mean that it's acceptable for Gnash's
testsuite to be left in a mess. And despite my having to fix it several
times a week all summer, it still doesn't complete, precisely due to
some of those errors in the classes.all testsuite.

bwy

--
Free Flash, use Gnash
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/