[Gnash-dev] Cross-compiling gnash for arm - undefined reference to `__sy

From: Richard Hardy
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Cross-compiling gnash for arm - undefined reference to `__sync_add_and_fetch_4'
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 17:36:41 +0100

Hi,

I am currently trying to cross compile Gnash 0.8.3 for an ARM processor and uClibc 0.9.29 using buildroot (gcc 4.2.3).

The Gnash build progresses quite a long way, but then I get the following errors whilst linking:

../server/.libs/libgnashserver.so: undefined reference to `__sync_add_and_fetch_4'

../server/.libs/libgnashserver.so: undefined reference to `__sync_fetch_and_add_4'

When I do

nm server/.libs/BitmapMovieInstance.o

I see, as part of the output:

000002f8 r _ZZNSt4fposI11__mbstate_tEC1ExE6C.1234

         U _ZdlPv

         U _Znwj

         U __assert

         U __cxa_allocate_exception

         U __cxa_begin_catch

         U __cxa_end_catch

         U __cxa_pure_virtual

         U __cxa_rethrow

         U __cxa_throw

         U __gxx_personality_sj0

         U __sync_add_and_fetch_4

         U __sync_fetch_and_add_4

         U atof

         U memcpy

         U pthread_mutex_destroy

         U pthread_mutex_init

         U pthread_mutex_lock

         U pthread_mutex_unlock

I had a similar problem when cross-compiling boost and discovered that that problem was caused because the atomic builtin __sync_fetch_and_add is not supported by gcc on ARM.

The question is, is this being caused by me not setting something during the gnash cross-configure/compile (if so what?), or is there really a problem in gnash that stops it being built for my configuration, or have I made some more fundamental mistake?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Richard.