[Gnash-dev] git

From: Bastiaan Jacques
Subject: [Gnash-dev] git
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 08:38:24 +0200 (CEST)

It seems Savannah is now offering Git support:

https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=4906

so instead of finishing Subversion they've decided to go with Git. This
is, as far as I'm concerned, a good thing. A cherrypicking of Git's
features:

- file renaming support;
- great distributed changeset support; others can easily track your
progress.
- efficiency (I find myself waiting for 'cvs diff' a lot);
- offline commits so it's easy to retrace your steps when you've been
without internet access for a while;
- Pick your own interface: raw git, cogito, stgit, git-gui, ...

And my personal favourite: no more @#$%^&# failed commits due to changes
other people made in files unrelated to your commit.

I don't know exactly how this will work with the "upstream" branch,
which I'm assuming will be maintained by Rob. Will we still be able to
merge stuff ourselves, or do we have to wait until Rob pulls from our
repos?

I'd like to know what other people's feelings on the subject of Git are,
and in case everybody likes it, thoughts on a switching timeline would
be appreciated.

Bastiaan