[Gnash-dev] subshapes

From: Bastiaan Jacques
Subject: [Gnash-dev] subshapes
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 17:42:25 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Udo,

I'm reimplementing the OpenGL renderer after having condemned the current
version. While doing this I've come across a concept known as subshapes,
about which I'm still a little hazy.

The purpose of subshapes I don't completely understand. Although I
understand that Flash wants to combine shapes into a single character,
looking at lumi.swf I see many distinguishable shapes but not a
single path with member m_new_subshape set. So I'm left to conclude that
subshapes are either not indicative of a distinguishable shape, or the
implementation in Flash movies is not very consistent.

I also note that if you were to render all shapes in the same order
they occor in the character, the subshape automatically has the correct
level. (At least in my testing of subshapes.swf.)

Can you shed some light on this concept?

Thanks,

Bastiaan.