Re: [Gnash-dev] Garbage collector

From: Eric Hughes
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Garbage collector
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:57:22 -0600

At 09:52 AM 6/15/2007, Udo Giacomozzi wrote:
Sorry for this question, but what is the problem with the RC model?
Can you show me some code that creates an "unreachable" object?

I can't off the top of my head, but this is a generic problem with languages that have the possibility of creating circular references. A disconnected reference cycle won't be freed in the RC model, but will generally be found in a GC model. The relevant code would be some SWF whose execution creates objects in a reference cycle. Put that code in a loop and you have eventual memory exhaustion with RC, but not with GC.

Eric