Re: [Gnash-dev] Simple tasks for OpenGL and Cairo to allow automated tes

From: Quinn Storm
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Simple tasks for OpenGL and Cairo to allow automated testing
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 05:25:34 -0400

On Wednesday 06 June 2007 05:17:30 strk wrote:
> After a bried talk with Quinn and others on #gnash I took note
> about some pointers with possible solutions to the "offline rendering"
> for opengl problem:
>
> http://gnashdev.org/wiki/index.php/MovieTester#OpenGL_offscreen_rendering
>
> It seems to me (but I'm really a newbie in ogl world) that using the mesa
> implementation it would be possible to render to an offscreen buffer and
> thus using this feature for testing. Of course we can't test timing, but we
> don't do already (we just check correctness).
>
> Quinn, can you confirm this is possible ?

This would be *possible* (with libosmesa), but the obvious problem is we could
end up using openGL features that don't render properly on everyone's driver
anyway (despite openGL being a standard, etc., implementations are buggy,
c.f. standards like ACPI, etc.)  I'm not against it in principle, just want
to point out the bugs that can happen with it.