[Gnash-dev] Re: Getting window.location from plugins

From: Braden McDaniel
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re: Getting window.location from plugins
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 11:39:38 -0400

On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 17:16 +0200, strk wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 05:56:07AM -0400, Braden McDaniel wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 10:48 +0200, strk wrote:
> > > Hi, I'm looking for informations about getting
> > > current window's url from a mozilla plugin.
> > >
> > > The problem is that the plugin receive information
> > > about a stream's url, but what I need is really
> > > the url of the HTML page containing the EMBED or OBJECT
> > > tag, not of the stream.
> >
> > I don't know that that's possible without resorting to XPCOM. And you
> > probably don't want that since it will negatively impact the portability
> > of your binaries.
> >
> > > This will be needed for the GNU Flash Player plugin,
> > > see a testpage here:
> > > http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/flash/tests/relative_urls_test/frameset.html
> > >
> > > In the test, the SWF file is located under a subdir (swf/buttons.swf)
> > > but the plugin needs to know the URL of the frame containing the
> > > page loading that (topframe/topframe.html).
> >
> > Why? If you fetch with NPN_GetURL, it should resolve the relative URI
> > properly.
>
> Yes, this is the alternative I was thinking about.
> Currently this is not possible as the plugin simply starts
> a separate process trought a system() call, so in order
> to invoke NPN_GetURL we'll need a way to communicate to it.
> Well, thanks for your answer, I'll concentrate on setting
> this communication channel on, or get rid of the system() call
> and keep a better link to the workhorse.

Have a look at OpenVRML's Mozilla plug-in. It runs in a separate process
as you describe. I do the IPC using glib iochannels and there is
basically a mini-language for issuing requests to the Web browser
process.

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <address@hidden>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <address@hidden>