[Gnash-dev] SWF4 compatibility

From: strk
Subject: [Gnash-dev] SWF4 compatibility
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:21:12 +0200

While working on bug https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?17806
I realised that some features have been *obsoleted* starting
at a given SWF version.

In this case it was variables in the form:
        /path/to:variable

I think it would be worth having the possibility
to reduce Gnash to only support a given range of SWF versions.
For embedded systems, in which only a specific set of movies
would be played this would be handy as it will improve
performance. For example, a variable containing the slash
or colun chars would just be invalid if SWF version is > 4.

Another example is case sensitiveness in variable names, which
changed since I dunno which version.

So, what should we use to compile-time remove support for
different versions ?

I don't think it is possible to have a macro expand to code
containing other CPP statments, like in:

        #define MIN_SUPPORTED_SWF_VERSION 3
        #define MAX_SUPPORTED_SWF_VERSION 4

        #define IF_SWF_VERSION_SUPPORTED(v, x) \
           .. can we add other compile-time checks here ?..

        IF_SWF_VERSION_SUPPORTED(#,
        code_here
        );

Any solution, like dynamic macros setting (using ## or similar...) ?

--strk;

--

 /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 \ /    Respect for low technology.