[Gnash-dev] DefineEditText variable name and globals

From: strk
Subject: [Gnash-dev] DefineEditText variable name and globals
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:36:42 +0200

The DefineEditText tag contains a "VariableName" attribute.
Semantic of this attribute is not clear to me.

Alexis' reference says that:

<<
 The text is defined in a variable (accessible in action scripts). It can be
dynamically assigned and retreived. It is legal to have an empty string as the
variable name (not dynamically accessible).

So, I'm assuming that assigning to that variable will change the
displayed text, and that retriving that variable would read the
displayed text. Does this sound correct ?

For a testcase, see https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?17806
(https://savannah.gnu.org/support/download.php?file_id=10791)

It seems to me that GPLFlash2 actually uses this as the default
"instance name" instead, which seems incorrect (the above testcase
for example uses an explicit "/" anchor in the variable name to
attach the variable to the root). Also, a comment in Gnash seems
to suggest this (server/parser/edit_text_character_def.h:126).

So, any idea about who's right and who's wrong ?

--strk;

 /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 \ /    Respect for low technology.
  X     Keep e-mail messages readable by any computer system.
 / \    Keep it ASCII.