[Gm2] WindowsDevices and ncurses

From: ROBERT SOLOMON
Subject: [Gm2] WindowsDevices and ncurses
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 15:23:44 -0400

ROBERT SOLOMON <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi.  I am looking at the ncurses interface and WindowsDevices module.  I
> noticed that this is an output only module.

> How do I do ncurses input?

> Thanks

Hi Robert,

you could use Terminal.Read from the pim libraries.   I would
make this procedure the default by using StdIO.PushInput
and then use StrIO.Read, StrIO.ReadString and friends.

You might want to put your terminal session (on Linux) into noecho
and raw mode - by using the command line program: stty.

I sometimes run this from with my application by:

libc.system(ADR('stty -echo -raw'))

libc.system(ADR('reset'))

For an example of how PushInput/PushOutput might be used see

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/gm2/examples/executive/winexec.mod?revision=1.6&root=gm2

although ignore the Executive related calls.

Why is that better than using the ncurses input routines?